Saturday, December 11, 2004

Update...

Here's an email I sent out to some of my friends and I figured I'd go ahead and put it on here too!


"Hey everyone!

I know, it's really been quite a long time since I wrote last. Everything to me just seems normal, but to you, a lot has probably changed. They say when you are always around yourself, you don't notice the changes, but others do.

So, on to my update...

I really don't know where I left you the last time, but I'll begin with the most influential thing that has happened recently. November 21-23, Eric Filson and I went on a camping/hiking trip to a part of the Hoosier National Forest south of Indianapolis. We hiked in, found a spot to stay, set up camp and then spent the night. Monday we walked around a little and then spent "1.5 hours" (actually over 2 hours) in time alone with God. That was a truly awesome time and God showed me some really convicting and challenging things from His Word. Psalm 62:8 ("Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah") especially challenged me to stay close to God. Also during the time, we read a bunch of the book "The mark of a Man" by Elizabeth Elliot. If you want to know more about the awesome time, read this post from a couple weeks ago. As a result of that time with God, I have been able to be very consistent with my Quiet Time since then! Praise God!

Another wonderful thing is the Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) study from this week. The parts that hit me the most were from the lecture on Hebrews 7-10. The application lies in Hebrews 10:22-25, and I will hopefully live that out in my life. ("22let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another–and all the more as you see the Day approaching.")

Another great thing is that recently I have been getting almost 40 hours a week at work, but the downside of that is that I don't take advantage of the time I have at home to the best of my ability and end up wasting a lot of time. The big advantage is that I can be saving more $$ for either future schooling or going back to ALERT. Keep praying for my continued witness at work - both verbally and also simply by my actions.

One big prayer request right now is that I would be able to decide about going back to ALERT in January (or even at all)- I really want to but it seems to not be working out possibly. :-( There are a number of things to consider - (enough $$ to pay for it, being done with my orthodontics (braces come off on the 20th!), deciding if God really wants me to go back, etc...) I need to decide by the 20th and let them know.

Right now, it seems as if the future as I had seen it is changing...I'm still planning on starting at IUPUI and then transferring up to Purdue to get an international agronomy degree and then intern at ECHO, but the timing of what when seems to always be getting pushed further back. Thankfully I know God knows what He's doing!

Something else that's been on my mind a lot recently is: What is love? How do you express God's love to others and "love your neighbor as yourself" but without suggesting a different type of love? What kind of love is it that we are to express and how? How do you love a fellow believer as a brother or sister? How do you show Christ's love to an unbeliever? Maybe you have answers to some of these questions. This is certainly a topic I'm sure many struggle with, I sure do!

So in summary, praise items:

  1. For the awesome trip with Eric and the Fellowship with God.
  2. For the lasting results from the "fire" I've begun to kindle again in my heart to fellowship with God daily.
  3. Consistent QTs since the trip.
  4. Good BSF study.
  5. Lots of hours at work.

Prayer items:

  1. That I would keep up the zeal for QTs and prayer as result of the hike.
  2. That I would take advantage of witnessing opportunities at work.
  3. That I would continue to get many hours at work.
  4. That God would give wisdom concerning going back to ALERT or not and the future in general.
  5. That God would give understanding and guidance in the area of "brotherly love."
  6. That I would continue to improve how effectively I'm using the time God has given me.

Well, I guess I'll stop there, I think that's long enough. :-)

In Him,

Brian"

4 comments:

Josh said...

Where do you get those link search sites?

Brian said...

Not sure what you're asking about...restate the question please Josh. :-)

Anonymous said...

Time for a new post!

Anonymous said...

Are you still alive?