Saturday, September 25, 2004

The best book I have read in the past year.

During the course of the last year, I have read several books. It is very hard to choose which one is the best. The two books that made it into the final round are:

· Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris and

· High Calling: The Courageous Life and Faith of Space Shuttle Columbia Commander Rick Husband by Evelyn Husband

Both books are very well written, but Boy Meets Girl is more applicable to where I am at right now. Boy Meets Girl is the sequel to I Kissed Dating Goodbye. Joshua Harris wrote his first book at age 21, urging young Christians to give up worldly dating practices and to focus on serving God instead.

Boy meets Girl is the continuing of his life story. Following the principles he established in his first book, Josh commits to focus his life on God. After giving up the dating game, God allowed him to get to know Shannon, his future wife. He tells of his struggles to keep God as his focus all the way through the relationship. The book is about how they met, became friends, courted, and were then married. It is filled with many examples of couples and their experience with dating or courtship. Josh focuses especially on how God allowed it to turn out in the end.

I believe that this quote sums up the main point of the whole book -- “For your relationship to be strong, love for God must be the common passion of your hearts.” Personally, I was challenged to do several things as a result of reading this book. First, I must have my focus totally on God. Second, I need to rely on God to provide a wife in his due time; if that is His plan. Third, there is no reason to worry about who or when. Instead I should pray that God will be working to prepare me for the future he has in store me. I very highly recommend this book to be read by all, especially teenagers.

(This was an English assignment I decided to post)

6 comments:

Josh said...

Was that for Mr. Pulliam's class?

Brian said...

The book was not, but the essay was.

Josh said...

Yeah, I was going to say that the best way to get good grades is to totally agree with his assigned books. Unless he says something about them not being good.

Brian said...

Yes totally, if you agree with him about a book, you get much better grades!

Josh said...

I disagreed with him a couple times and my score suffered accordingly. But I was happy becasue it gave me a chance to argue my opinion.

Brian said...

Same here. There are several books that either I saw them from a different point of view, or I simply disagreed with them. So I had to, like you, argue my position, and even risk a lower grade. :( Oh well.