Sunday, October 24, 2004

I don't have much to say....

Hm, I guess I'll start with what I did yesterday.
I somehow managed to sleep in until about noon, when I got up, and madly got ready to go. I showered, ate breakfast/lunch, packed a dinner, and got all my stuff ready for class this afternoon and work tonight.
At class (Ancient Church History) Mr. Pulliam gave a really neat presentation about the kings of Judah in the Old Testament times. They are great examples and can be redily compared to the people in politics today. Their lives have a lot of ideas and examples that we would be ashamed to admit we don't do. That was a great challenge to me and I'm very glad he shared. For the next hour or so, Mr. Calkins gave an overview of how to do research on the internet for information needed for biographies, reports etc. Since I'm by no means computer iliterate, I followed him all the way through. After class, I got in the car and drove to work. Somehow I managed to drive a standard transmission and eat at the same time. It wasn't easly done. :-)
I worked from 6-10 p.m. and as always on a Saturday night, it was slow. I hate it when it's slow, especially when I'm working as a cashier. There's nothing to do and you can't go home, so you kind of just stand around and wait for customers. Oh, and the time drags on and on and on.... If it's busy, the time flys by, and in no time, it's time to go home! Oh well!

Today, we had an interesting run-in with the authorities on the way to church.... Dad was driving, there's this big hill we drive down, and there was a "friendly" trooper sitting right at the bottom. He clocked us at 62 in a 45 mph zone. Yes, we were speeding, but comon! We were going downhill, in a 12 passenger van, and no sooner do you go down, then you have to go back up the other side, so you would slow down then... Oh well, at least I wasn't driving! (But if I was, I wouldn't have been going 62 either.)
The sermon by James Faris was great. He began a new series on Mark, starting with chapter 1 (duh) and he explained the basics of the book, for example: Mark focuses on 2 main questions throughout the whole book: Who is Jesus? What did he come to do? He also talked about how John the Baptist was sent to proclaim the comming of Jesus Christ.
Well I gotta go to choir practice...so I guess I'll stop there.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, dude! Your brother Michael fell asleep during the service tonight! LOL

-Nicky Rao

Josh said...

I know what you're saying about slow on cashier. I usually used that time to pull out my pocket Bible and memorize a few verses.

Heather said...

Sounds like an interesting encounter with the cop! Maybe your dad will slow down next time? =)
~heather

Brian said...

Heather, yes it was interesting, and I think he'll be driving slower for a while at least. :)
I have been driving for like 2.5 years and I've never been pulled over, I plan on keeping it that way too!

Heather said...

Way to go! Keep the ticket record clean! =)
I'm about to get my permit...hopefully no tickets for me either! *grin*
I get my thought of the day from random places...I guess just the archives of my brain. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian
This is Micah, you left a comment on my Xanga last week. Yeah, Eternal Vision is an ATI program at the Character Inn in Flint. To read more about it, click the tagline at the top of my page: "...at eternal vision." to read about how God led me there, go the the bottom of my page and in the links there for "classic posts" click on "eternal vision." I'm also on the Crossings, my username is Photoboy.
Later!
www.xanga.com/MicahMurray
AIM: TheJoeCool86

Ross said...

No, see, here's what you got to do... you got to learn how to shmooze the cop when you get pulled over. I've been chased by a cop 4 times, pulled over 3 times, and still, knock on wood, just have three warnings that haven't shown up on my record. Sometimes it pays to tell 'em what they want to hear. but whatever you do, don't become one of those drivers that always drive the speed limit but still manage to get within a stones throw of death on the daily milk run. Josh. Doh, I didn't say that lol. (Josh gives me a hard time for driving the "appropriate speed for the conditions" on the road, so I have to give him a hard time for being a good little communist and always driving the speed limit or under ;~)

Josh said...

Hey! I'm one of the two people I know who has never been pulled over and doesn't have to worry about it happening. Maybe I make a few people mad who can't manage their time well enough to leave in time to get somewhere, but that's their fault.

Brian said...

Yes Josh! I don't always drive exactly at the speedlimit, but I do make an effort to keep it within about 5mph. If you have to get somewhere sooner, all you have to do is leave earlier! Then you dont have to worry about getting pulled over for speeding!