Friday, October 15, 2004

The memorial services....

I really should try to have something a little bit more interesting and uplifting on here, but I'm going to say one more thing about Elder Thompson.
The Memorial service was held at the church where I go, the same as the one Elder Ken Thompson served. It began about 11 a.m. on Thursday the 14th of October. To start it off, we sang a few Psalms - 90, 91, and 23. Then Pastor Johnston gave a breif biography - Born 1924, served in the navy during WW2, married and had 3 children, had sucess in buisness, became an active member of the church - elder and later moderator of the presbytery, died 2004 october 11. He was an avid fisherman and Master Gardener and used these talents to God's glory and to build lasting relationships with many around him. He frequently worked on the church grounds helping it become beautiful, eye-pleasing and most importantly glorifying to God. "Ken's Crew" to this day still maintains the church grounds. Next the grandchildren came up and shared a bunch of their best memories of Grandpa. After singing Psalm 127, my Grandfather, who was Mr. Thompson's personal best friend read a poem and shared memories of their wonderful times togeter. Pastor Johnston and Blackwood respectively then shared the testimony from the church and Scripture of Ken's Life, Death, and Eternal Life. Lastly we sang from Psalm 84 and 72 as a doxology.
The graveside service was even more touching, and led to realization that it's over. After a few comments from the pastors, a couple Navy guys played the bugle song that they play to honor those who have died, then they folded and presented to Mrs. Thompson the flag that had been on the casket. That was the most dificult part, realizing he really was gone. Then it was over, we all left.
He will be missed by a great many people, and I'm no exception. God greatly used him in my life to develop a love for gardening, fishing, and the LORD. He was a great example to all of us of what a Godly man can accomplish. It's hard to see him go, but that was God's providence, and now I have one more great reason to look forward to going to Heaven.

Will I have people that say the same things about me when I die? I sure hope so!

Give it some thought, what will people say about you when you die? Will it be good things? How will you have impacted other people's lives for good?

2 comments:

Edwin Allen Henry said...

Great great questions to ask oneself and ponder about...

erudil said...

"I really should try to have something a little bit more interesting and uplifting on here"

Why would you want to put something on here instead of this? Thanks so much for putting this on. I would have gone if I had been able, but there was quite certainly no way for that to happen.