Monday, October 11, 2004

To the memory of Ken Thompson...

This is an email I just received this morning concerning one of the elders in the church. He has been in the hospital for at least a month and I / we will dearly miss him. :(

~Brian~
------------------------------
Dear Friends,

The Psalms tell us, “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.”

At about 9:15 a.m. the Lord took our friend, Elder Ken Thompson, home to be with Himself. It was as if Ken waited for his dear wife, Ann, and the children to gather at his bedside to say good-bye. Pastor Johnston prayed and quoted Psalm 23, as Ken breathed his last and quietly went home to be with His Lord. Later, Dr. Blackwood reminded the family of Jesus' promise, “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” John 14:1-2. Pastor Johnston read II Peter 1, which Ken often quoted and was recently on his mind. His son, Joe prayed a closing prayer.

We all praise God for Ken’s life, witness and service in the church. He will be deeply missed. Please pray for Christ’s comfort for the family and that the Lord would be exalted in Ken’s funeral. Arrangements are pending. We will let you know when details become available.

Thank you for praying.

Sincerely,

Pastor Rich Johnston

1 comment:

erudil said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Brian, especially since I hadn't heard of this until reading this. I just sent a link to this post around to people at church, as we were praying for Mr. Thompson.

Psalm 73:23-24
Yet evermore I am with Thee;/Thou holdest me by my right hand./And Thou, ev'n Thou, my guide shalt be;/Thy counsel shall my way command;/And afterward in glory bright/Shalt Thou receive me to Thy sight.

Psalm 90:10-17
For some life's years are seventy;/Perhaps the strong may eighty see;/Their best involves but toil and woe;/All quickly ends. How soon we go!/Who has Thine anger understood?/Who fears Thy fury as he should?
O teach Thou us to count our days/And set our hearts on wisdom's ways./How long, O LORD? Return! Repent,/And toward Thy servants now relent./Each morning fill us with Thy grace;/We'll sing for joy through all our days.
According to the days we spent/Beneath affliction Thou hast sent,/And all the years we evil knew,/Now make us glad, our joy renew./Thy work in all Thy servants show;/Thy glory on their sons bestow.
On us let there be shed abroad/The beauty of the LORD our God./Our handiwork upon us be/Established evermore by Thee./Yes, let our handiwork now be/Established evermore by Thee.